Damara mopane Lodge
Lodges in Damaraland - Namibia
Damara Mopane Lodge often accommodates large groups, although they are known for making every guest feel very welcome. The lodge is surrounded by beautiful gardens and makes for an excellent base for exploring many of the main tourist attractions in Damaraland. In particular many head to the Petrified Forest, Vingerklip and the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. Game drives to search for desert-adapted elephants can be arranged here.
The main building and chalets of the lodge have been designed similar to that of an African village, and are built in a wattle and daub style under the shade of mopane trees. Damara Mopane Lodge has several unique features one of which is that the walls of the buildings and chalets are adorned by copies of the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein another are the creative scarecrows that inhabit the vegetable plots that surround the bungalows, keep an eye open for the scuba diving scarecrow - a personal favourite!
The reception, restaurant and chalets are all connected by a 'labyrinth of paths', enabling guests to follow the shortest route from the main facilities to and from their accommodation without getting lost. Dinner will consist of a hot starter with diners able to choose a personal platter for a light, but tasty meal. A selection of meats and vegetables are available and many of the fresh ingredients will be taken from the gardens around the chalets.
The swimming pool is situated alongside large, ancient mopane trees, an ideal setting to chill and relax after a dusty day's drive or excursion. There is a viewing deck is only 300m away from the camp, situated half way up a hill. It overlooks the camp and plains beyond and is a perfect venue for photographing magnificent, colourful sunsets and to admire the wonderful Namibian starry night skies.
Accommodation is in 60 double chalets. Air-conditioning and mosquito nets are standard as is a personal veranda. Each plot has its own vegetable and herb garden enclosed by a low wall. Lettuce, radishes, melons, pumpkins and tomatoes are grown alongside the more traditional African staple food such as maize and mahangu, adding to the illusion of spending the night in an African village.
- Proclaimed a World Heritage Site in 2007, Twyfelfontein contains around 2,000 rock engravings and one of the largest and most important concentrations of rock art in Africa. It was proclaimed a National Monument in 1952 and as many as 40,000 people a year now visit the site, making it one of the more popular tourist destinations in Namibia.
- Petrified Forest:
- The trees of the Petrified Forest were uprooted some 200 million years ago and were swept along by rivers in flood, covered by sediments and then subsequently uncovered by erosion.
- Vingerklip (Finger Rock) is a 35m high pillar of sedimentary rock and is one of the most impressive rock formations in Namibia. It stands proudly above a valley, known as the Ugab terraces.
- Desert-adapted elephants:
- The western regions of Damaraland are home to the famous desert-adapted elephants. These beautiful animals move mainly around dry riverbeds, surviving and living on the foliage of trees and shrubs provided by rivers and seasonal rains
This small lodge is located between Outjo and Khorixas - it was one of the first guest farms opened in Namibia
Situated in the tiny town of Uis, this lodge acts as a gateway to the Brandberg Mountain and other parts of the Erongo Region. The owner, Basil, is a bastion of the local community and a font of knowledge on the area
We are absolutely convinced that this is where Nelly the Elephant decided to live, after deciding to run away from the circus! A bit run down - but in an excellent location
Small private lodge consisting of thatched domed bungalows scattered amongst large granite boulders. It is well situated near Twyfelfontein and several other major Damaraland attractions
This camp was started by Wilderness Safaris and is now managed by the local community. Expect luxury, desert elephants and rhino
Named after the abundant Mopane Trees found in the area, Damara Mopane Lodge is part of a well established lodge group, known for quality lodges at reasonable prices. Only 20km from Khorixas and within driving distance of the highlights of the area
A good quality lodge located close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. Excursions to the engravings and in search of desert adapted elephant are available
Situated in the town of Khorixas, this lodge may not have the most scenic setting but offers reasonable accommodation at good prices
A fairly basic establishment just outside the town of Khorixas
Private campsites in a beautiful setting
One of the most luxurious lodges in the area - accommodation is in luxury tents or more 'solid' suites.
As the name implies this is situated close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. A good quality lodge with reasonable rates.
Close to the Vingerklip rock formation and offering exciting views of the Ugab Plains
The Vingerklip is a 35m high finger like rock structure - this popular and well equipped lodge has two swimming pools and apart from being close to Vingerklip is in close proximity to Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and other wonders of Damaraland
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.