Corona Guest Farm
Accommodation in the Gamsberg region - Namibia
Corona Guest Farm is an ideal first night stopover for individual travellers, families and self-drivers on a trip from Windhoek to Sossusvlei. Those arriving on an early morning flight into Namibia can make decent headway towards the dunes of Sossusvlei on the first day. This is a fairly traditional Namibian guest farm, set in the centre of a plateau and surrounded by picturesque mountains. Hikers of all standards should consider staying for a couple of nights as the guest farm is the perfect base to climb the Gamsberg Mountain.
Corona is situated roughly half-way between Windhoek and Walvis Bay as well. Take an unhurried journey across the Khomas Hochland and down the escarpment for a slower but almost traffic free alternative from the busy tarred B2 road. Time permitting, many prefer this route through rolling hills and valleys, to enjoy the far-reaching open spaces of the Namib Desert before the delights of the coast.
Corona Guest Farm's main building is well-placed amongst a shady garden full of beautiful flowers and tall trees. High ceilings help bring about a more pleasant, cool room temperature in the summer. Adding to the overall ambiance of the common areas are the collection of old antiques, variety of foreign and exotic memento's, rugs, animal skins and assortment of carvings.
Well-trained staff and delicious food are waiting for you as Corona Guest Farm pride themselves on their renown cuisine and service. Home cooked and tasty meals are served in an open-plan dining area complemented by drinks from the small bar. Special dietary requirements can be catered for if booked in advance.
Afterwards chill and relax in the comfortable lounge and chat to others about your Namibian travels. A Wi-Fi connection allows you to keep in touch with family and friends. Set away from the main house is a large, sparkling swimming pool, surrounded by shaded sunbathing and lounging space. Other facilities include a disabled access on request and a laundry service.
Corona has a variety of accommodation: There are:
- Deluxe (Family-Sized) Rooms: There are 3 split-level Deluxe Family-Sized Rooms situated in and around the main farmhouse. Entrance is via the main lounge/dining room area. A mini-bar/fridge and a selection of books, lounge area with a sofa, coffee table and a writing desk are standard. Steps lead up to the bedroom which has a double bed and a print mirroring the name of the room. Outside is a private verandah where you can walk around the communal areas of the garden. An extra sleeper couch can be arranged.
- Standard rooms: Set outside the main farmhouse and through the garden are 6 standard rooms. Smaller and more modern than the other suites, they all have an en-suite bathroom with shower, double beds, writing desk and chair. Step outside to a long, shaded veranda.
Activities must be booked in advance. Swim in a decent sized 'pool with a view', collect gemstones or trek in search of Bushmen drawings. Scenic game viewing drives often observe kudu, oryx, springbok, steenbok, klipspringer, warthog and the rare Hartmann's mountain zebra. The more active and energetic might try a hike to the top of the 'Gamsberg' Mountain. A variety of other marked trails are available.
There is an 800m private landing strip near Corona.
- There are 5 marked but unguided walking trails from the farm. They vary from 2 to 12.5km in length. There is a mountain hut destination for the keener and more experienced hikers to head for. Spending the night in the chalet at the foot of the Gamsberg can be organized.
- Rock paintings
- Hikers can take the No 1 walking trail which leads to the Gamsberg hut. There are some interesting rock paintings on a nearby overhang.
- Scenic/farm drives
- An occasion to relax and enjoy the surrounding scenery. Kudu, oryx and Hartmann's mountain zebra can be observed roaming around the beautiful countryside.
- Sundowner drive
- This trip is combined with the afternoon scenic drive. Duration 2.5 to 3hrs back in time for dinner.
- Mountain biking
- Corona have 4 mountain bikes for you to explore the region, using the walking trails. Alternatively guests are welcome to bring their own mountain bikes.
- Day trip
- A drive to to Gamsberg Plateau involves a gentle trek along some of the regions most beautiful surroundings. Enjoy a picnic lunch. Game, birding and many photographic occasions will present themselves en-route.
- Kuiseb Canyon:
- Visit the area where 2 Germans, Henno Martin and his friend and colleague Hermann Korn hid in the desert for 2.5 years after the outbreak of WW2. (Their experiences are described in the book The Sheltering Desert). You must obtain a permit from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism office in either Sesriem, Windhoek or Swakopmund before your visit. Open Monday to Friday: Closed Saturday and Sunday.
- Birding is excellent in the area
- . Stargazing:
- Learn about the night sky. There are thousands of stars and celestial happenings above.
- From Windhoek
- follow Mandume Ndemufayo Avenue south passed the University of Namibia. Just after the university you come to a crossroads with the Western Bypass. Cross straight over this road, joining the C26. After about 32kms turn left (this is where the C26 and D1982 fork). Follow the C26 for another 118kms, over the Gamsberg Pass, then turn left on to the D1438. The Corona Guest Farm is 18 kms down this road.
- From Walvis Bay
- follow the C 14 for approx. 173 kilometres. Then turn left on the C26. Another 31 kilometres to the 1438 turn-off. From there you travel another 18 kilometres, and you have reached Corona
- From Solitaire
- on the C14, turn right into the C26. Another 31 kilometres to the 1438 turn-off. From there you travel another 18 kilometres, and you have reached Corona
- By light aircraft
- Private landing strip near the house - approximately 800 metres long. Co-ordinates : S 23 23 568 E 16 09 975
Very friendly lodge with eclectic decor - good choice of accommodation in the Gamsberg area
Very popular with amateur astronomers due to the areas low light pollution
A remote & rustic camp at the foot of the Khomas Hochland mountains
On the edge of the escarpment this property offers stunning views over the Namib Desert plains. Accommodation choices include private campsites, luxury villas & traditional guest farm accommodation
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.