Caprivi Mutoya Lodge
East Zambezi Region - Namibia
Caprivi Mutoya Lodge offers an ideal base to day trip into some of the regions most well-known national parks and a famous world heritage site. These tours are complemented with a choice of accommodation units as some have self-catering facilities. The small riverine forest and peaceful, backwater lake setting add to the overall ambiance of the lodge. Mutoya (waterberry) trees line the lake shore. Jackalberry and many other indigenous trees surround the lodge, home to a variety of smaller mammals and a large variety of birds.
Situated in a small riverine forest, the lodge lies on the banks of a tranquil backwater lake of the Zambezi River, approximately 24km east of Katima Mulilo on the Kalimbeza Road. The lodge is home to squirrels, monkeys, a large variety of birds and other small species.
Bwabwata Park forms part of the KavangoZambezi (KaZa) Transfrontier Conservation Area, the largest of its kind in the world. The park has 3 specific areas; the perennial Okavango and Kwando rivers, an associated system of drainage lines and deep windblown Kalahari sands. There is no surface water in Bwabwata National Park and, subsequently most species of wildlife tend to gather along the Kwando and Okavango riverbanks.
The 35 game species includes elephant and buffalo, lion, African wild dog, cheetah, leopard, red lechwe, reedbuck, hippo, crocodile, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, sitatunga, Chobe bushbuck and sable and roan antelope. Over 400 bird species have been recorded in the region including wetland specials such as African skimmers and wattled cranes. Bwabwata is also the name of a village in the park and means the sound of bubbling water.
At Caprivi Mutoya Lodge drinks and meals can be taken inside the bar and restaurant. Outside is a large wooden deck with fire-pit, ideal to mingle and chat with fellow travellers and exchange travel tips and adventures after dinner. Guests can chill and relax in the small lounge and enjoy a selection of games or read a book. Wi-Fi is also available in the main hospitality areas. A splash pool provides welcome respite from the hot Namibian sunshine. Electricity is supplied from solar power and mains 220v/50hz from.
Guests stay in a variety of accommodation. There are:
- Small en-suite safari tents: Three tents with a communal kitchen - each sleeps two people. These tents are quite close together making them ideal for groups and families.
- Self-catering en-suite chalets: Four self catering chalets include two family chalets (sleeps 4 each) .
- Bicycles will be available for guests wishing to explore the surrounding bush and forest areas.
- Canoe trips:
- Paddle out in a canoe and view hippo, crocs and a large selection of birds.
- Fishing trips:
- Tiger fish, bream, pike and barbel are just some of the species of fish that can be caught on a catch and release basis.
- A leisurely outing on a boat in the late afternoon is ideal to watch a beautiful Namibian sunset.
- Although many bird species can be viewed around the lodge and on all the activities, a trip to see Southern Africa's largest Carmine Bee Eater's colony can be arranged.
- Nature walks:
- Take a gentle hike around the lodge and into the surrounding forest and see the large array of local flora and fauna of the area.
- Day trips:
- An early start is required to see the 'Smoke That Thunders' at the world famous Victoria Falls. Safaris into Bwabwata and Chobe NP's can also be organized.
A rustic tented camp, built on raised decks overlooking the Chobe River and Chobe National Park.
On the Kwando River, perfectly situated to visit the Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) & Mudumu Reserves
Just outside the town of Katima Mulilo lies this small river front lodge. The accommodation is rustic with open fronted bungalows overlooking the river.
Explore the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers on an adventurous houseboat holiday. Certainly one of the most enjoyable and relaxing ways of exploring the waterways of this area
Caprivi Mutoya Lodge offers an ideal base to day trip into some of the Zambezi Regions most well-known national parks and a famous world heritage site.
Part of the Zambezi Queen collection these three smaller houseboats operate on the Chobe River " offer a superb opportunity to view birds, mammals and scenery on a 2 or 3 night trip
Previously called Ntwala Lodge, this property is situated on three small islands in an ultra-luxurious Chobe destination, with four suites, each with plunge pool and private guiding
Overlooking the vast Chobe floodplain from its situation on the banks of the Chobe River in the east Caprivi this lodge has a lot to offer visitors
Overlooking the Chobe River and Botswana's Chobe National Park, this boutique hotel offers an excellent opportunity to experience all the wildlife and activities the Chobe Region has to offer
One of the best lodges in this area has accommodation in both traditional land based units as well as on two houseboats.
A four room private camp set inside the Nkasa Rupara National Park. A remote and private location in Namibia's least visited hidden gems of a game park makes this a must visit lodge. The lodge can also be booked for exclusive use on a self catering basis
A tented lodge on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River. Offers both self catering facilities and restaurant meals. Excellent for fishing.
This lodge is located at the only place in the world where four countries meet. It is a wonderful Chobe destination with eight luxury chalets.
A more rustic and smaller alternative to the ever popular Lianshulu Lodge
Situated in the Mudumu National Park this is one of the east Zambezi Region's most popular lodges
Situated on an island in the Kwando river around 4km from the trans-Caprivi highway
Located on the banks of the Kwando river in the heart of the Mashi Conservancy, within Bwabwata National Park. This is a sanctuary for more than 35 game species and upwards of 330 bird species. Animals move freely throughout the area which creates a mecca for wildlife viewing
A popular and well appointed lodge near Kongola
A wonderful lodge in an extremely remote location, this is a must for anyone wanting to get of the beaten track and experience Namibia at her best. Offers game viewing in the Nkasa Rupara (formerly Mamili) National Park and boat trips on the Linyanti River.
A small luxurious houseboat, offers awesome game viewing, bird watching & fishing experiences on the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
in the Bwabwata National Park this is a perfect land and water camp with six luxury suites, each with private plunge pool
A luxurious house boat on the Chobe River which offers 2 or 3 night cruises on the Chobe River. An excellent way to celebrate a special occasion or just to relax in these splendid surroundings
In the far eastern Caprivi this lodge offers lots of water based activities on both the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.