Canyon Village Lodge
Lodges near the Fish River Canyon - Namibia
The Canyon Village sits picturesquely at the foot of a sweeping rock face in Gondwana Canyon Park. It is on the same property and only 2kms away from Canon Lodge, a slightly more exclusive alternative.
There is a thatched restaurant, coffee shop and a rustic bar, all set between massive granite boulders. Namibian artists have decorated the walls of the restaurant, and the rural atmosphere is continued in the chalets, depicting the daily life of the original inhabitants of the area, the Bondelswart Nama. Alternatively, guests are welcome to enjoy a break at the pool. It has magnificent views of the endless plains of Gondwana Canyon Park.
On arrival, guests will have their luggage transported to their accommodation by a traditional donkey and cart, all under the guidance of a local family.
42 Cape Dutch style chalets are equipped with en-suite bathrooms, twin beds with mosquito nets and bedside lights, air-conditioning, mesh-screened windows and a wooden wardrobe
Yoghurt, cheese, cold meats as well as your breakfast eggs are supplied by their own butchery, dairy and smokehouse, run by the Self-Sufficiency Centre. Light lunches can be ordered from their 'a la carte' menu and in the evening several meat dishes, fresh vegetables and a choice of salads are available. Their small farming business also produces fruit, vegetables and herbs, fresh from their own garden.
Take in the superb scenery in this haunting, arid landscape on an unguided morning hike, Canyon and scenic drive or a guided sunset walk.
Canyon Village is an ideal base and offers easy access to explore the wonders of Namibia's Fish River Canyon.
- Morning Hike
- On this 6-km-hike you will experience the very core of Gondwana Canon Park. You are accompanied by a guide who will gladly share his knowledge about the fascinating desert landscape around the canyon (about 3 hours)
- Hiking Trails
- A marked trail takes you from Canon Village up to a mountain plateau with an incredible view of the vast plains adjacent to the canyon. You pass through 'Archway Rock', hike down into the plain and make your way to Cañon Lodge. (2 to 4 hours)
- Canyon Drive
- Especially for guests who want a break from the wheel or those on a fly-in safari. You are taken to the three major lookout points along the Fish River Canyon. The guide will tell you all about the canyon's fascinating geological history. (about 3 hours)
- Sundowner Walks
- Everyone is welcome to join his short excursion. Watch the sun go down with a drink to end off the lovely day.
Fairly basic accommodation at the famous hot-springs near the southern end of the Fish River Canyon
Probably the most popular lodge in the area. Friendly staff, interesting rooms and an emphasis on growing all local produce make for a wonderful stay
The smaller sibling to the Canon Lodge & Village, this fun establishment boasts loads of character
Supposedly laid out like an African village - this tends to be second choice to the Lodge but still offers good value
On the opposite edge of the canyon to all the other lodges, Fish River Lodge offers a unique perspective, excellent service and stunning views
Campsite close to the main viewpoint over the Fish River Canyon
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.