Lodges near the Fish River Canyon - Namibia
Canyon Lodge is situated on the 520 square kilometre, privately owned Gondwana Canyon Park. It is only 20kms from the main viewpoint of Fish River Canyon and is built from natural materials, including local rock and thatch roofs. The lodge is an ideal starting point for visits to the Fish River Canyon.
The Canyon Lodge's main area lies in the shelter of a granite hilltop, and the lodge itself has been built amongst enormous boulders, designed to blend in with the natural environment. The reception, an indoor restaurant and the bar area can be found here. There is a safe in reception for the safekeeping of valuables. As the building has been constructed by using mostly local stone, the interior is cool, but lacks natural sunlight.
The farmhouse has been decorated with various farm implements, evoking memories of the pioneering farming days. Guests can relax on the shaded terrace, or laze beside the swimming pool. Gaze at the Fish River Canyon's incredible scenery whilst enjoying a sundowner on the top of the lodge's own mountain.
An old farmhouse, originally built in 1908 by three Bavarian brothers, has been restored to serve as the Canyon Lodge Restaurant. It has a magnificent view of the canyon landscape, which makes dining in the restaurant a truly unforgettable experience. Yoghurt, cheese, cold meats as well as your breakfast eggs are supplied by their own butchery, dairy and smokehouse, run by the Self-Sufficiency Centre. Light lunches can be ordered from their 'a la carte' menu and in the evening, hearty game dishes and scrumptious side dishes from the buffet are available. Their small farming business also produces fruit, vegetables and herbs, fresh from their own garden.
Spaced evenly amongst the tall weather-beaten granite boulders are 25 thatched, natural stone and wood bungalows. All units are equipped with comfortable beds, en-suite bathrooms, air-conditioning and mosquito nets.
Activities include unguided morning hikes, Canyon and scenic drives and a guided sunset walk. Take in the superb scenery in this haunting, arid landscape.
This tranquil lodge is an excellent base to explore the wonders of Namibia's Fish River Canyon.
- Morning Hike
- On this 6-km-hike you will experience the very core of Gondwana Canyon Park. You are accompanied by a guide who will gladly share his knowledge about the fascinating desert landscape around the canyon (about 3 hours)
- Hiking Trails
- A marked trail takes you from Canyon Village up to a mountain plateau with an incredible view of the vast plains adjacent to the canyon. You pass through 'Archway Rock', hike down into the plain and make your way to Canyon Lodge. (2 to 4 hours)
- Canyon Drive
- Especially for guests who want a break from the wheel or those on a fly-in safari. You are taken to the three major lookout points along the Fish River Canyon. The guide will tell you all about the canyon's fascinating geological history. (about 3 hours)
- Sundowner Walks
- Everyone is welcome to join his short excursion. Watch the sun go down with a drink to end off the lovely day.
Fairly basic accommodation at the famous hot-springs near the southern end of the Fish River Canyon
Probably the most popular lodge in the area. Friendly staff, interesting rooms and an emphasis on growing all local produce make for a wonderful stay
The smaller sibling to the Canon Lodge & Village, this fun establishment boasts loads of character
Supposedly laid out like an African village - this tends to be second choice to the Lodge but still offers good value
On the opposite edge of the canyon to all the other lodges, Fish River Lodge offers a unique perspective, excellent service and stunning views
Campsite close to the main viewpoint over the Fish River Canyon
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.