Caprivi Strip - Namibia
Camp Kwando is a popular stopover set on the banks of the River Kwando. Many people on fly- drive safaris use it as the perfect base to explore Mudumu and Nkasa Rupara (formerly Mamili) National Park and then on to Bwabwata National Park and Victoria Falls. Others like to unwind here after a period of intensive travel and admire the riverine location. Situated 25km south of the village of Kongola, it is approximately 125km west of Katima Mulilo and 400km east of Rundu.
The main building consists of a large thatched lapa, decorated with African artifacts. Relax and unwind in the spacious lounge on the comfortable leather sofa's chairs. The open-sided dining area overlooks the river and crocs and hippo can often be seen. There is a bar, Internet connection, secure parking and locally made arts and crafts can be bought from the curio shop. Tea & coffee is available throughout the day.
Solar power provides 24/7 electricity. The swimming pool is a great place to take it easy after a game drive or boat swamp trip. There are sun-shades and umbrellas as well as a thatched chill-out zone to escape the hot afternoon sun.
Guests enjoy a hearty Camp Kwando buffet breakfast before joining the morning's activities; there are 12 options available! A light lunch of asparagus soup or quiche can be ordered on your return. The evening meal usually consists of a selection of game meats and the fresh vegetables are grown in their very own herb and vegetable garden. To finish off your 3 course dinner, how's about a dish of home-made ice-cream?Accommodation is in either single or double thatched roof island tents or single or double tree houses:
- Tented Chalet: Each of the 14 tents is equipped with 2 beds fitted with mosquito nets. One of these tents is a family unit. En-suite open-sky bathrooms with shower, toilet and basin (hot and cold running water), mosquito nets and an in-room safe are standard. The tents are built on poles with a terrace overlooking the river; anglers can fish the river from here.
- Luxury Chalets / Tree Houses: The six Tree Houses are thatched roof bungalows built on stilts. The very spacious rooms have big en-suite bathrooms with shower, toilet and basin and a large terrace with a great view of the plains. These rooms are equipped with ceiling fans.
Camp Kwando has several child friendly activities, including making fishing rods and learning how to weave baskets and as such is a great choice for those looking for a family friendly lodge.
- Boat trips on the Kwando River
- The lodge has its own flat bottom aluminium boat complete with canvas roof for protection against the sun. Game drives leave early morning or late afternoon to capture high density wildlife activity and to make the best possible use of light for photography. An afternoon boat cruise focuses on specific birding requests from Camp Kwando's guests with some 450 species recorded in the region. There is also a tender for smaller parties and fishing trips.
- Game drives
- Specially equipped 10 seater Land Rovers leave early morning and late afternoon, usually to Mudumu Game Park, and include a drinks/snacks break.
- of 2 days or more to Bwabwata National Park and Nkasa Rupara National Park can be organised. Due to the nature of the terrain and National Park rules, these exciting expeditions require 2 vehicles and nights are spent camping in the bush! Mamili is especially wild and remote, with the priority on encountering wildlife!
- Visit a traditional village
- Next to Camp Kwando is a village where most of their staff live. The inhabitants have created a 'Traditional Village', where presentations of various fishing and hunting techniques are shown, as well as aspects of every day life. During this visit, the village 'Medicine Man' performs his one-man 'see how different dances were used against various illnesses or to cure other problems' show!
- School visits
- There are 2 local schools bordering the lodge grounds. Support for these trips through tourism, allows Kwando Camp to maintain their impetus on the level and maintenance of quality teaching. Fees paid for these visits is re-injected directly back into schooling material. This project is closely monitored by Kwando Camp, who carefully track all donations.
- Fishing trips
- There is enough fishing tackle for groups of 4 to angle on the Kwando River. Their chef is only too pleased to prepare your catch for supper. The more adventurous might like to attempt netting a tiger fish; these have been known to weight up to 8 pounds in these waters!
- The Caprivi is home to over 400 of Namibia's wetland and woodland bird species including Pel's fishing owl, African skimmer, African finfoot, white-backed heron, swamp boubou and Schalow's turaco. During the breeding season large flocks of Carmine bee-eaters frequent the area.
- Guided Nature Walks
- Early morning and late afternoon guided nature walks can be organized on a Kwando River island followed by either a bush lunch or sundowner snacks.
- For Children
- Kids can make their own fishing rods and learn how the local community catch fish or discover the ancestral technique of basket weaving. Both activities include materials and are run in the afternoon.
A rustic tented camp, built on raised decks overlooking the Chobe River and Chobe National Park.
On the Kwando River, perfectly situated to visit the Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) & Mudumu Reserves
Just outside the town of Katima Mulilo lies this small river front lodge. The accommodation is rustic with open fronted bungalows overlooking the river.
Explore the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers on an adventurous houseboat holiday. Certainly one of the most enjoyable and relaxing ways of exploring the waterways of this area
Caprivi Mutoya Lodge offers an ideal base to day trip into some of the Zambezi Regions most well-known national parks and a famous world heritage site.
Part of the Zambezi Queen collection these three smaller houseboats operate on the Chobe River " offer a superb opportunity to view birds, mammals and scenery on a 2 or 3 night trip
Previously called Ntwala Lodge, this property is situated on three small islands in an ultra-luxurious Chobe destination, with four suites, each with plunge pool and private guiding
Overlooking the vast Chobe floodplain from its situation on the banks of the Chobe River in the east Caprivi this lodge has a lot to offer visitors
Overlooking the Chobe River and Botswana's Chobe National Park, this boutique hotel offers an excellent opportunity to experience all the wildlife and activities the Chobe Region has to offer
One of the best lodges in this area has accommodation in both traditional land based units as well as on two houseboats.
A four room private camp set inside the Nkasa Rupara National Park. A remote and private location in Namibia's least visited hidden gems of a game park makes this a must visit lodge. The lodge can also be booked for exclusive use on a self catering basis
A tented lodge on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River. Offers both self catering facilities and restaurant meals. Excellent for fishing.
This lodge is located at the only place in the world where four countries meet. It is a wonderful Chobe destination with eight luxury chalets.
A more rustic and smaller alternative to the ever popular Lianshulu Lodge
Situated in the Mudumu National Park this is one of the east Zambezi Region's most popular lodges
Situated on an island in the Kwando river around 4km from the trans-Caprivi highway
Located on the banks of the Kwando river in the heart of the Mashi Conservancy, within Bwabwata National Park. This is a sanctuary for more than 35 game species and upwards of 330 bird species. Animals move freely throughout the area which creates a mecca for wildlife viewing
A popular and well appointed lodge near Kongola
A wonderful lodge in an extremely remote location, this is a must for anyone wanting to get of the beaten track and experience Namibia at her best. Offers game viewing in the Nkasa Rupara (formerly Mamili) National Park and boat trips on the Linyanti River.
A small luxurious houseboat, offers awesome game viewing, bird watching & fishing experiences on the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
in the Bwabwata National Park this is a perfect land and water camp with six luxury suites, each with private plunge pool
A luxurious house boat on the Chobe River which offers 2 or 3 night cruises on the Chobe River. An excellent way to celebrate a special occasion or just to relax in these splendid surroundings
In the far eastern Caprivi this lodge offers lots of water based activities on both the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.