Accommodation in Damaraland - Namibia
Camp Kipwe is situated within the Twyfelfontein Conservancy in the Damaraland area of Namibia. The entire region is renowned for its geology and unusual rock formations. So it is no surprise that the camp is built amongst large granite boulders, which are cleverly incorporated in the overall design and layout of the lodge. Rock paintings and rare desert-adapted flora and fauna can also be viewed on organized trips from the camp. A sister lodge, Mowani Mountain Camp is a mere 4km away.
An advantage of the small size of the Camp Kipwe is the relaxed and tranquil environment. The lounge in the main lodge is an ideal meeting place to discuss travel and safari experiences with other guests. Wine and dine in the bar and restaurant. The views from here take in the mountains and Aba-Huab River. Stunning sunsets complement the outstanding scenery. Other facilities include a curio shop and reception area. Many guests make a beeline to the swimming pool, which offers a welcome respite from the hot Namibian sunshine.
The rooms are built from natural materials including mopane branches and the local red basalt stones, giving a natural and organic feel. Hot water is heated by an old fashioned wood burning 'donkey'. Guests stay in:
- strong>Bungalows: There are 9 bungalows with twin/double beds. Air-conditioning, en-suite facilities (outdoor shower and ablutions) are standard. A private verandah overlooks the rugged Damaraland scenery
- Suite: The luxury thatched suite has a lounge equipped with air-conditioning, satellite television, a double room with en-suite bathroom, laundry service and a mini-bar.
As the lodge is situated close to the Aba-Huab River Activities from Camp Kipwe include elephant nature drives, These guided trips include exploring the surrounding area in a 4x4 vehicle, in search of Namibia's remaining 600 desert dwelling elephant.
There are a number of guided nature walks that will cover trails in and around Camp Kipwe, the durations will depend on the guests.
Children are accepted at Camp Kipwe, and special meals can be arranged on request. Meals at Camp Kipwe have fixed timings and are served in the dining room.
- Breakfast is served at 07h00 and lunch at 13h00 daily.
- In the winter months of April-September, afternoon tea is served at 16h00 and dinner at 19h00.
- In the summer months of September-April, afternoon tea is served at 16h30 and dinner at 20h00.
Parents are advised to watch their children closely at all times, as the area is known for snakes and scorpions. Camp Kipwe is also surrounded by boulders, which can get quite slippery and dangerous at times. Parents should also make ensure their kids do not disturb other guests.
The closest airstrip is at Twyfelfontein, which is approximately 15kms from Camp Kipwe.
- Elephant / Nature Drive
- a 4-6 hour morning drive to explore the surrounding country and possibly find some of the elusive desert adapted elephants
- Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain and Organ Pipes Excursion
- this 2 hour trip sets out every afternoon and visits the main highlights of this part of Damaraland including the rock art at Twyfelfontein
- This region is ideal for walking and guests are encouraged to explore the area surrounding Camp Kipwe
This small lodge is located between Outjo and Khorixas - it was one of the first guest farms opened in Namibia
Situated in the tiny town of Uis, this lodge acts as a gateway to the Brandberg Mountain and other parts of the Erongo Region. The owner, Basil, is a bastion of the local community and a font of knowledge on the area
We are absolutely convinced that this is where Nelly the Elephant decided to live, after deciding to run away from the circus! A bit run down - but in an excellent location
Small private lodge consisting of thatched domed bungalows scattered amongst large granite boulders. It is well situated near Twyfelfontein and several other major Damaraland attractions
This camp was started by Wilderness Safaris and is now managed by the local community. Expect luxury, desert elephants and rhino
Named after the abundant Mopane Trees found in the area, Damara Mopane Lodge is part of a well established lodge group, known for quality lodges at reasonable prices. Only 20km from Khorixas and within driving distance of the highlights of the area
A good quality lodge located close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. Excursions to the engravings and in search of desert adapted elephant are available
Situated in the town of Khorixas, this lodge may not have the most scenic setting but offers reasonable accommodation at good prices
A fairly basic establishment just outside the town of Khorixas
Private campsites in a beautiful setting
One of the most luxurious lodges in the area - accommodation is in luxury tents or more 'solid' suites.
As the name implies this is situated close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. A good quality lodge with reasonable rates.
Close to the Vingerklip rock formation and offering exciting views of the Ugab Plains
The Vingerklip is a 35m high finger like rock structure - this popular and well equipped lodge has two swimming pools and apart from being close to Vingerklip is in close proximity to Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and other wonders of Damaraland
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.