Camp Elephant | Erindi Game Reserve
Lodges in Central Namibia
Camp Elephant has been exclusively designed to offer superb views of a productive waterhole from the comfort of your accommodation. Nearby viewpoints offer other superb photographic opportunities which enhance your wildlife experience. Individual travellers, small groups and families who wish to self-cater on their Namibian holiday should stay here.
The Camp itself is situated on Erindi Private Game Reserve a former cattle farm. Many predators and species of game roam around the 71,000ha reserve. As it is situated only a few hours north of Windhoek visitors to the 'The Place of Water' can include it on a trip between Waterberg Palteau National Park or Etosha National Park. Old Trader's Lodge is a more traditional lodge, also located on Erindi Game Reserve.
In 2007 the reserve was transformed into a nature conservation venture. Since then their conservation and rehabilitation programmes and projects of rare and endangered species such as leopard has been an outstanding success. Other big cats such as lion and cheetah receive the same attention as do black rhino, the rare African wild dog and brown hyena.
Although there is no restaurant at Camp Elephant, basic groceries such as fresh meat, wood, ice and beverages can be purchase in the store. Also on the camp grounds are a laundry room and a swimming pool.
Accommodation is in 14 self-catering units comprises placed in a horseshoe formation to overlook the floodlit waterhole. Each chalet has one bathroom with a large shower, 2 bedrooms with 2 single beds and clean linen, air-conditioning, flatscreen TV with DSTV. In the open plan living area there is a dining table and sleeper couch. The fully-equipped kitchen has a fridge, microwave, kettle, 2 plate stove, toaster, crockery and cutlery. Step outside to your outdoor terrace and braai area.
- Game drives
- Morning and afternoon game drives are conducted in an open 4x4 safari vehicle (max 10 pax) led by a knowledgeable and qualified tour guide. A full day trip around Erindi Game Reserve can also be organized. For safety reasons only children over the age of 6 are allowed.. A safari for the under 6's can be organized in the company of 1 adult per family.
- Night drives
- A 3hr night drive on the lookout for elusive and shy creatures can be arranged. Spotted and brown hyena, aardvark, pangolin, Cape fox, serval, caracal and small-spotted genet all reside on the reserve. Only for 6 yrs of age and above for safety reasons. Summer season only.
- Telemetry tracking
- A game drive with a difference is to join a telemetry qualified guide who tracks tagged animals. The emphasis is on looking around higher ground for the larger species. Sightings are then passed on for other game drives.
- Cultural visit
- Subject to their movement it is possible to visit some of the San Bushmen and their families who live solely off the land in Erindi Game Reserve.
- There is a wide selection of walking trails specializing in either Bushmen and their art, cheetahs, leopards and birds.
- From Windhoek
- Drive north through the town of Okahandja on the B1 - about 45km after Okahandja turn left off the B1, take the D2414 for about 40kms. At this point fork off to the left on to the D2328. After continuing on the D2328 for 4kms, the private road to the lodge is on your left. It is another 20kms to the lodge
- From Otjiwarongo
- Approximately 100km south of Otjiwarongo (on the B1), turn right on either the D2187 or the D2414. The D2187 takes you to the Omatako Entrance gate to Erindi, while the D2414 leads you to the main gate
A small private safari lodge north of Otjiwarongo
Lodging located on the property used by the Heetah Conservation Fund, this is an excellent option if you want to learn about cheetah conservation
A friendly well run guest house in the town of Otjiwarongo
Self catering units on a large, well stocked, private game reserve
Mid sized hotel in Otjiwarongo offering both lodge & hotel style accommodation. All the usual facilities including a pool, air-conditioned rooms and a restaurant
A large, well stocked, privately owned game reserve. Excellent for sightings of wild dogs and other endangered species
Situated to the north of the Waterberg Plateau (which is unusual as most lodges are toward the south) this highly recommenced lodge offers spacious comfortable rooms and plenty of activities
One of the oldest lodges in Namibia, Mount Etjo has seen several historic events including the signing of an agreement pivotal to Namibia gaining independence. Still offers good quality accommodation and game drives
Without a doubt one of the best lodges in Namibia, add leopard and cheetah viewing to stunning accommodation and well prepared meals and this place is a complete winner
A private two bed room suite, comes complete with own swimming pool, lounge and kitchen. Private chef and meals can be arranged or guests can visit Bush Camp
The 'entry level' camp at Okonjima offers all the same great cats experiences as the other lodges in the portfolio. A one of a type not to be missed Namibian experience
Large private complex, includes all modern luxuries. Enjoyed by international movie stars and corporate moguls - but available to any group wanting to stay!
a variety of accommodation options - ranging from large self catering villas to double rooms. Just a few kilometers south of Otjiwarongo
A large game farm which numbers the rare White Rhino amongst its species.
Small 8 room guest farm with an emphasis on conserving the natural eco-systems
The NWR run camp situated on the slopes of the plateau. Fairly standard and slightly overpriced accommodation, the old police station which has been converted to a restaurant is a scenic (if not taste) highlight.
Excellent choice for walking and visiting the highlights of the area
On the same property aw the Waterberg Wilderness Lodge but situated higher up the mountain offering excellent views
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.