Barchan Dune Retreat
Solitaire - Namibia
Barchan Dune Retreat is situated in a scenic area only 24km from the Spreetshoogte Pass and 10km from the small settlement of Solitaire. This makes it a convenient stopover between Walvis Bay (240km), Swakopmund (270km) or Windhoek (210km) en-route to Sossusvlei and Sesriem Canyon. This is an ideal location for individual travellers, couples and families who enjoy personal attention combined with general peace and isolation.
Sossusvlei is an enormous clay depression and salt pan in the Namib Desert, it is best known for being the place with the biggest sand dunes in the world, and a popular tourist destination. It is occasionally fed in the rainy season by flood waters from the Tsauchab River which runs along side the tarred road from Sesriem to Sossusvlei, but in most years it remains completely dry.
Barchan Dune lodge is the ideal location to relax and unwind as it is a small establishment with only 6 rooms. An added attraction is that it is built under a Barchan dune, these are crescent shaped dunes with the two 'horns' facing downwind. Photographers of all standards would be interested in the mountainous terrain, sandy dunes and flat plains of the surrounding environment. For travellers looking for a more private destination Barchan Dune Lodge offers a 2 person cabin called KuanguKuangu only a short 5min drive from the main building.
The small combined lounge and dining room has a large dinner table, where home-cooked meals are served. Meal timings are fairly flexible. Fresh coffee is served to your rooms first thing in the morning. Furniture and amenities here consists of a couple of leather chairs and sofas, a fire place and some books. There is a partially shaded courtyard garden, the coolest venue in the house. A plunge-pool has been sited amongst the rocks (rainy season only) and walkways lead off to the accommodation. Coco the dog and the resident meerkats provide additional entertainment.
Accommodation is in 6 rooms. The large windows allow for plenty of light with stunning bedroom views across the immediate landscape. Each room is equipped with an en-suite bathroom and shower, towels and complimentary shampoo and shower gel. There is also a double bed, mosquito net, writing desk, an extra sleeper couch and a flask with cold water. Outside each room is a shaded sitting area with a cool box/cold drinks. Afternoon tea/coffee and cake can be served on your private terrace or in the main area.
The highlight of the Retreat's excursions is to Sossusvlei but other trips can be arranged by vehicle or on foot.
- Sossusvlei trip
- An early start is required to watch the sunrise, climb Dune 45 and enjoy a delightful breakfast. Then it's on to Sossusvlei to climb some of the biggest sand dunes in the world, some as high as 325m. The shifting sands that surround the clay pan are peppered with dead camelthorn trees. A trip to Sesriem Canyon follows before a coffee break at Sesriem Campsite and then home to Barchan Dune Retreat for a late and well-deserved lunch.
- Hiking trails
- A number of the Namib Naukluft's walking trails are within a fairly short drive of Barchan Dune Retreat. Also there is a magnificent range called the Rantberge Mountains surrounding the Retreat and the lodge has implemented a number of excellent self-guided trails around this area. You could also enquire about ascending the pathless and challenging mountain to experience a wonderful sunrise.
- Sundowner drive
- There is the possibility to drive to Spreetshoogte Pass to watch the sunset.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
- From Windhoek (210km)
- From Windhoek drive south on the B1 in towards of Rehoboth (around 90km tarred road). Four Kilometers past Rehoboth turn to the right at the sign to Klein Aub, this is the C24 (gravel road) follow this until you reach the C1261 (signposted to Nauchas). Turn right onto the D1261 untill you reach Nauchas, then turn to the right following the signs to the Spreetzhoogte Pass on the D1275.
After the Spreetshoogte Pass it is another 20km till you reach the entrance to Brachan dune Retreat (on your left) form here it is a further 3km to the lodge.
- From Walvis Bay(240km)
- From Walvis Bay follow the C14 in towars Solitaire.Turn left at the D1275, which is marked as the Spreetzhogte & Nauchas. 15 kilometers from the turn you will see a sign to the lodge which is a further 3km drive.
One of the regions oldest farms, suitable for dune and Naukluft Mountain visits
A small lodge situated close to the spectacular Spreetzhoogte pass and around 10km from Solitaire
A private and secluded hide-a-way in the Namib Desert. Ideal for those wanting a break from civilization
Excellent food, too far to be the ideal base to visit Sossusvlei, good stop en-route to Swakopmund after night nearer the dunes
Budget option in Namibia's most famous one-horse town
Friendly owners and a stunning setting about 60km from Sesriem
Explore the spectacular desert around this property or use it as a base to visit Sossusvlei.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.