Bagatelle Kalahari Game Ranch
Lodge in the Kalahari Desert - Southern Namibia
Bagatelle Kalahari Game Lodge lies on the edge of the southern Kalahari only 50mins drive from Mariental. This is a peaceful owner-run lodge located in a mixed tree and shrub savannah setting, broken by deep red parallel sand dunes. The valleys in between the parallel dunes are commonly known as 'dune streets'. As it is only a two and a half hour drive from Namibia's capital city Windhoek, Bagatelle provides a the perfect stopover en-route to the attractions of southern Namibia such as the Fish River Canyon and Luderitz.
In association with the Cheetah Conservation Fund, the lodge are custodians of cheetah, kept in an enclosure right next to the recreation area. This facility was built exceeding the requirements laid down by the Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife and under the guidance of the Cheetah Conservation Fund. These captive cheetahs can never be released into the wild, and will remain in captivity for the rest of their lives. It is the aim of Bagatelle Kalahari Lodge to ensure that these beautiful animals experience the highest quality of life in this time.
A rambling old farmhouse has been extensively altered, upgraded and renovated over the years, and serves as a residence and administrative centre of the Lodge. An entrance hall leads to the reception, lounge, dining room, bar/cellar and office. There is also a well-stocked, small library with a broad selection of mainly Africa books and matters relating to African flora and fauna. Their video library contains over 100 videos on African wildlife.
The main dining area at Bagatelle Kalahari Game Lodge is a huge, enclosed porch area. Their chef is on standby to provide breakfast, lunch or dinner and coffee, tea, snacks and drinks are available from their honesty bar. Their wine cellar, stock a range of well-known South African wines, for your enjoyment. They also have an extensive range of brandys, whiskeys, cognacs and liqueurs.
There is a swimming pool and recreation area, complete with a pool table and hammock. Guests can wine and dine 'al fresco' in the open-air-thatched lapa. Wi-Fi access is available in the communal areas. Rejuvenate and refresh with a treatment or massage from the Spa. Bagatelle Kalahari Lodge has it's own viewing platform that overlooks a natural waterhole. From here guests can watch the lodge's own cheetah at play.
At Bagatelle guests can choose to stay in one of 4 different styles of chalet. They all have identical standards of luxury and quality finishing. Extra beds for children can be arranged (except for the Dune Exclusive Chalets).
- Dune Chalets: 4 Dune Chalets are constructed of wood, raised on stilts and built on top of a sand dune. The views to the south-west are unsurpassed. An en-suite bathroom with bath and shower, toilet and wash basin, air conditioning, fan, writing desk, tea/coffee station, chairs, in-room safe, bed-side lights, fridge/mini-bar are standard.
- Dune Exclusive Chalets: There are 2 Dune Exclusive Chalets with the addition of private splash pools. The facilities are similar to the Dune Chalets. Private dining can also be arranged if you stay in an Exclusive Chalet.
- Savanna Chalets: There are 10 Savanna Chalets. 8 of them are well-placed in the street between the dunes. The other 2 are located next to each other in one building and are ideal combination for families or a small group of friends. Each chalet has 2 x quarter beds and facilities similar to the Dune Chalets.
- Garden Court: 4 x Garden Court rooms are next to the lodge, so-called because they are set in their own 'garden court' with similar facilities to the Dune Chalets. They are equipped with twin beds but do not have a mini-bar/fridge.
There is a wide selection of activities run by the game ranch all to the backdrop of beautiful landscape. Bagatelle are custodian of a number of captive cheetah. Feeding time is both very popular and a highlight. Morning scenic drives, afternoon sundowner trips, an early walk with the San, birdwatching, stargazing and night drives can be arranged. Nature loves can explore the region on a leisurely horseback safari.
- Cheetah Feeding
- In association with the Cheetah conservation fund, Bagatelle is the custodian of cheetah kept in an enclosure right next to the recreation area. The facility was built exceeding the requirements laid down by the Ministry of Tourism and wildlife and under the guidance of the Cheetah conservation fund. These captive cheetahs are not able to be released into the wild, and have to remain in captivity for the rest of their lives. The aim is to ensure that this happens in a way that ensures the best quality of life for these speedsters of the savanna.
- Morning Scenic Drive
- The quiet of the early morning is best experienced in the dunes. An amazing diversity of animal and bird life live here. Learn about the unique dune topography and vegetation on your route.
- Afternoon Sundowner Drive
- Watching the sun set and the ever changing colours of the landscape is a photographers delight. Cool sundowner drinks add to the enjoyment.
- Morning Walk with the San
- The Kalahari Desert is alive with desert-adapted creatures large and small. With your knowledgeable guide the opportunity to explore the dunes is not to be missed. This is a fascinating excursion to learn how these hardy creatures can survive in such harsh conditions.
- Horseback Safari
- Horseback safaris around the ranch can be organized. Booking in advance is necessary.
- Night Game Drive
- As Bagatelle is on private property a night drive can be organized. Search for some of the more elusive creatures that only appear after dark. Stargazing: The beautiful bright Namibian skies offer unparalleled stargazing opportunities.
- Birdwatching trips at Bagatelle can be organized around the Kalahari dunes. Doves and raptors have been recorded here and the spectacular displays of the white-quilled korhaan in the breeding season are of great interest.
Bagatelle Game Ranch is 50 minutes from Mariental on the C20 and the D1268 district roads. 270km from Windhoek on the B1 main road, turn off onto the C21 at Kalkrand, then onto the D1268 district road
only 25 kilometers west of Mariental this lodge promises an interesting safari experience. With over 19 game species including white rhino on the property, those seeking wildlife in this arid area are unlikely to be disappointed
10 bedroom guest house near the main B1 road in Mariental
Large; budget friendly lodge.
Excellent lodge in the Kalahari Desert, offers accommodation in units made of straw bales or wood. Bagatelle proves to be consistently popular with guests
Interested in gliding? Then this is the lodge for you
On the private Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve.
Recently upgraded, the resort is reasonably close to the main highway and offers an alternative overnight stop for those traveling between South Africa and southern Namibia towards Windhoek and other central areas of the country
Tends to cater for larger groups, but the low rates make it attractive for those looking to save some money.
Small self catering establishment in the pretty Kalahari town of Stampriet
A small well run lodge near the scenic village of Stampriet
Close to the Mata Mata border, the lodge is situated on a large well stocked game park. This is an excellent place to view Kalahari black maned lions
A 12 room lodge situated in a nature reserve and set amongst the red dunes of the Kalahari Desert
Only a few kilometers from Mariental this magnificent game lodge is a green oasis in the Kalahari Desert. A wildlife breeding program means several rare buck species can be found on the lodge's game farm
A wonderful owner managed guest house in the village of Stampriet. An eclectic mix of local antiques & warm hospitality enhance your stay
The meerkat or suricate is a small mammal which inhabits the Kalahari - we do not know why this lodge is named after them. Perhaps if you stay here and find out you can tell us and then we can make this slightly more descriptive
A tented lodge, built on the small red dunes of the Kalahari Desert.
The third lodge on the Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve (along with Suricate & Camethorn Lodges). The Kalahari is absolutely magnificent and really should be a part of any visit to Namibia.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.