Eagles Nest Lodge
Klein Aus Vista - Namibia
The Klein Aus Vista Nature Reserve is situated 2km west from the small town of Aus in southern Namibia, and about 120kms from Luderitz. Eagle's Nest Lodge is set at the foot of the Aus mountains on this reserve, on a 10 hectare farm that borders on the Sperrgebiet. (Forbidden diamond mining area.) The Nest is 7km away from the main reception and restaurant complex of the Desert Horse Inn, and is easily accessible by car in only 10 minutes.
The main reception, lounge and restaurant are all at the Desert Horse Inn. A telephone, fax machine and an Internet connection can also be located there.
Eagle's Nest Lodge is a small group of 9 rock chalets spread out over a boulder-strewn hillside. The Boulder, Desert Vista and The Rock chalets are amongst the guests favourites. Some are built partially from gigantic granite boulders, whilst others are built into the actual rock walls. They all have stone floors. Each chalet has en-suite facilities, (flush toilet, wash basin/shower with soap dispensers and bath towels provided), a fully equipped kitchenette, a lounge, fireplace and a private verandah, overlooking the seemingly endless Namib Desert. The chalets also have wooden furniture – bamboo wardrobes and wooden luggage racks - a bedside table and light, and an honesty bar.
Guest's at The Nest's idyllic setting can appreciate the solitude and tranquility of the desert, but are welcome to enjoy the country cuisine and vibrant atmosphere of the bar at the Desert Horse Inn. If they prefer, braai (barbeque) packs and breakfast platters can be organized.
One of the highlights of the area are the Namib Desert Wild Horses, which are often found near the lodge. It is not uncommon to see Klipspringer in the early morning from a bedroom window.
Eagles Nest is an ideal destination for families, as the widely spaced chalets allow plenty of room for children to run around and play.
Photographers would be interested the Namib Feral (wild) horses, often to be found grazing locally. The stunning combination of high yellow grass and mountains also makes for beautiful photo-opportunities, and it's worth taking note that the wild horses tend to graze in the afternoons.
There are two walking trails from Eagles Nest. A 12km Eagle trail, approximately 5 hour long and the 4km Mountain Trail, approximately a 2 ½ hours long.
Eagle's Nest Lodge is powered from solar energy.
- Wild Horses
- The realm of the Wild Horses is in Namib Naukluft Park, north of the road to Lüderitz. With a little luck they can be watched at Garub, some 20 km west of Aus, as they regularly make their way to the drinking trough there. Klein Aus Vista holds special permits for excursions into the areas where these horses can be found
- Scenic Drives
- experience the fascinating plant and animal world of the Succulent Karoo on a scenic drive through Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park.
- Hiking Trails
- Explore the diverse plant and animal world of the Nama Karoo and Succulent Karoo at your own pace. Five hiking trails (2 to 5 hours) take you through the wild, romantic landscapes of the Aus Mountains
- Auas Info Centre
- At the Aus Info Centre, on the way into Aus (3 km), the attractions of the area - like the Wild Horses or the ruins of a POW camp from World War I - are depicted on numerous display boards. Learn more while enjoying a cup of coffee.
A lovely country hotel in the small village of Aus
Self-catering, rock bungalows on the Klein Aus Vista property. As Eagles Nest has no restaurant facilities guests are welcome to use the restaurant at Desert Horse Inn. This is a beautiful place to spend a few nights enjoying the beauty of southern Namibia
Named after the desert horses which are one of the main reasons for visiting the area, this is the more main stream lodge on the Klein Aus Vista property
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.