Desert Horse Inn
Klein Aus Vista - Namibia
The Desert Horse Inn is situated on Klein Aus Vista Nature Reserve, 2km from the small town of Aus, in southern Namibia. The lodge is situated on a 10 hectare farm that borders on the Sperrgebiet (forbidden diamond mining area). This establishment is an ideal stopover between Keetmanshoop, Fish River Canyon, and Luderitz. The Namib Desert Wild Horses are often found near the lodge.
The main area at the Desert Horse Inn is built entirely of wood, and houses the main reception area and curio shop on the lower floor. A telephone, fax machine and an internet connection are also located here. A staircase to the side takes you to the restaurant, bar and sitting area upstairs. There is also an outside deck area under a shaded roof, where you can sit and enjoy the impressive panoramic views.
The bar is well-stocked with spirits, local beers and wines, and there is a fireplace for those cold winter nights. The Inn is decorated with seed pods, ostrich eggs and other natural materials from the area.
There is a lounge with comfortable sofas and arm chairs, and old fashioned luggage serving as coffee tables. The floors are scattered with animal skin-rugs, giving the room an old, African safari camp feel.
The main indoor restaurant has high ceilings supported by wooden beams, large windows and it offers a 270° panoramic view. Meals are served either as a buffet, set menu or 'plate serve', depending on the number of guests.
The Desert Horse Inn offers 24 luxury rooms with spacious, en-suite bathrooms. Each room has a fridge, fan, mosquito nets, tea/coffee station and an in-room safe.
It is an ideal destination for families, as there is plenty of room for kids to run around and play in. Ostriches are kept near the main area of the Desert Horse Inn, which are a source of enjoyment and interest for younger and older members of the family alike.
The much-photographed Namib Feral (wild) horses can often be found in the area around Klein Aus Vista. Look out for them grazing on either side of the road on the way to Luderitz. Capture the combination of high yellow grass and mountains, a superb photographic opportunity.
Keen walkers can hike from one of two possible bases on Klein Aus Vista. The first is from the Desert Horse Inn, a short 1-hour sunset walk, or perhaps guests would prefer to take the longer 3-hour walking trail. The cooler April to mid-October months are the ideal period for hiking.
Mountain biking and horse riding can also be organized here.
- Wild Horses
- The realm of the Wild Horses is in Namib Naukluft Park, north of the road to Lüderitz. With a little luck they can be watched at Garub, some 20 km west of Aus, as they regularly make their way to the drinking trough there. Klein Aus Vista holds special permits for excursions into the areas where these horses can be found
- Scenic Drives
- experience the fascinating plant and animal world of the Succulent Karoo on a scenic drive through Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park.
- Hiking Trails
- Explore the diverse plant and animal world of the Nama Karoo and Succulent Karoo at your own pace. Five hiking trails (2 to 5 hours) take you through the wild, romantic landscapes of the Aus Mountains
- Auas Info Centre
- At the Aus Info Centre, on the way into Aus (3 km), the attractions of the area - like the Wild Horses or the ruins of a POW camp from World War I - are depicted on numerous display boards. Learn more while enjoying a cup of coffee.
A lovely country hotel in the small village of Aus
Self-catering, rock bungalows on the Klein Aus Vista property. As Eagles Nest has no restaurant facilities guests are welcome to use the restaurant at Desert Horse Inn. This is a beautiful place to spend a few nights enjoying the beauty of southern Namibia
Named after the desert horses which are one of the main reasons for visiting the area, this is the more main stream lodge on the Klein Aus Vista property
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.