Accommodation in the Kalahari Desert - Namibia
Auob Safari Lodge offers the perfect resting place on the way to the Kalahari Gemsbok Park, being approximately 180kms from the Mata-Mata Gate. It is located in a green oasis and enjoys a dry Auob riverbank setting only 6kms from the small town of Gochas. Expect stunning 360° views of the Kalahari sand dunes along with its associated species of wildlife in a friendly and accommodating atmosphere.
Various species of antelope, giraffe, small mammals and Namibian birds can be viewed around 8,000ha on game drives and nature walks. Despite its aridity, the Kalahari supports a variety of fauna and flora, including the native acacia trees and many other herbs and grasses.
The Kalahari Desert is a large, arid desert area in south-western sub-Saharan Africa, but has wide areas excellent for grazing after a decent rainy season. The red dunes of the Kalahari are a strong contrast to the white, calcareous rocks of the valley exposed by the Auob River.
Auob Lodge has a restaurant, bar, Lapa, barbeque area, and a 52 person conference facility. The lounge has a TV and an inviting fireplace to gather round on those chilly winter evenings. A breakfast buffet, small healthy lunch and set 3 course meal can be ordered in the restaurant. Larger groups will be served buffet style meals.
Accommodation is in 25 standard rooms. They all have en-suite bathrooms, twin beds, TV, air-conditioning and mosquito nets. Tea/coffee, laundry service and an Internet facility can be requested at reception.
Guests enjoy the peaceful atmosphere at the big, beautiful swimming pool while activities include guided and unguided hiking trails, morning and afternoon game drives, and dune sundowner trips. Unfortunately the horse riding treks have been discontinued.
Auob Lodge has a well-maintained gravel airstrip, with pre-arranged transfers to and from the lodge for their guests. This is an ideal first night stop-over on your tour to the Namibia's beautiful landscape, en-route to Quivertree Forest or Keetmanshoop.
Auob Lodge is a Hospitality Association of Namibia annual Award of Excellence in Gold winner.
- Game Drive
- A guided safari over the red Kalahari dunes on the Auob Reserve. Appreciate the diverse flora and fauna from an open game viewing vehicle. Duration morning and afternoon trips: 2hrs. Minimum: 4 passengers. Maximum: 20 passengers. Book a Dinner on the Dunes to follow your afternoon game drive.
- Guided hiking
- There is a choice of 3 guided walking trails to explore the vegetation on the dunes. Your guide will point the more interesting aspects of Kalahari adapted wildlife and vegetation. Options are: 6km, 8km or the half-day game-spotting hike.
- Unguided hiking
- For those who prefer to walk around the trails by themselves, then the 3 options offered on the guided hiking can also be undertaken.
- Weather permitting, an introductory lesson relating to the southern skies has proved to be a popular after-dinner activity. Your resident guide will keep you entertained for between 1 to 2hrs. The Southern Cross, Vela and Centaurus Constellations are all up there somewhere.
- Dinner on the Dunes
- Enjoy a cool sundowner before sitting down to a 3-course dinner under the stars. Minimum diners: 4. Maximum diners: Groups of between 30 and 50 can be catered for. An ideal occasion to compliment your afternoon game drive. (Weather permitting).
only 25 kilometers west of Mariental this lodge promises an interesting safari experience. With over 19 game species including white rhino on the property, those seeking wildlife in this arid area are unlikely to be disappointed
10 bedroom guest house near the main B1 road in Mariental
Large; budget friendly lodge.
Excellent lodge in the Kalahari Desert, offers accommodation in units made of straw bales or wood. Bagatelle proves to be consistently popular with guests
Interested in gliding? Then this is the lodge for you
On the private Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve.
Recently upgraded, the resort is reasonably close to the main highway and offers an alternative overnight stop for those traveling between South Africa and southern Namibia towards Windhoek and other central areas of the country
Tends to cater for larger groups, but the low rates make it attractive for those looking to save some money.
Small self catering establishment in the pretty Kalahari town of Stampriet
A small well run lodge near the scenic village of Stampriet
Close to the Mata Mata border, the lodge is situated on a large well stocked game park. This is an excellent place to view Kalahari black maned lions
A 12 room lodge situated in a nature reserve and set amongst the red dunes of the Kalahari Desert
Only a few kilometers from Mariental this magnificent game lodge is a green oasis in the Kalahari Desert. A wildlife breeding program means several rare buck species can be found on the lodge's game farm
A wonderful owner managed guest house in the village of Stampriet. An eclectic mix of local antiques & warm hospitality enhance your stay
The meerkat or suricate is a small mammal which inhabits the Kalahari - we do not know why this lodge is named after them. Perhaps if you stay here and find out you can tell us and then we can make this slightly more descriptive
A tented lodge, built on the small red dunes of the Kalahari Desert.
The third lodge on the Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve (along with Suricate & Camethorn Lodges). The Kalahari is absolutely magnificent and really should be a part of any visit to Namibia.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.