Arnhem Cave & Lodge
Explore Namibia's Longest Cave
Arnhem Cave & Lodge is an ideal retreat for couples and families who prefer self-catering accommodation in Namibia either side of a cave adventure. The lodge is on the edge of the Kalahari Desert characterised by rocky low hills and while the famous red sand of the Kalahari is prevalent, dunes are not a prominent feature. The cave itself was discovered in 1930 by the then owner of the farm, Daniel Bekker and today it is still in the same natural state as when it was found. Arnhem Caves and Lodge is situated only 85km south east of Hosea Kutako International Airport (and close the city of Windhoek)
This is the longest cave in Namibia, with a fairly stable temperature of around 25° C. This is not a cave to be visited by those scared of the dark or bats! It has a few cave formations, and is the home to six species of bat, including the giant leaf-nosed bat, (the largest insect-eating bat in the world) long-fingered bat, leaf-nosed bat, Egyptian slit-faced bat and the horseshoe bat.
There is no restaurant at Arnhem Cave Lodge. Guests are welcome to use the camp's braai facilities as well as the self-catering facilities in their chalet. Drinks, including sundowners, can be ordered from the cozy pool bar. The swimming pool offers welcome relief from the hot Namibian sunshine.
Accommodation is in picturesque rustic chalets. Each one sleeps 4 people. 2 downstairs and 2 people upstairs in a small loft. A bathroom, table and chairs, fridge, kettle, cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, hot plate and pots and a braai area are standard.
A guided tour through the cave, can last up to 3hrs in duration if required. It is a truly memorable occasion, no crawling is necessary, and wearing a set of old clothes is advised, due to the dust in the cave. There are thousands of bats clinging to the cave walls. (But no vampire bats.)
Arnhem Cave Rest Camp. Famous for it's bats!!!
- Guided tours
- A guided tour through the cave can last up to 3hrs in duration if required. No crawling is necessary but wear a set of old clothes due to the dust. Helmets and torches are available for hire. The entrance is divided by a thick column of rock with both sides leading down to a huge cavern some 120 long and 45m wide. Smaller passages and crevices continue on. Visit not long after the rains when the insect population increases. Thousands of bats cling to the cave walls and the bat experience can be furthered by sitting at the cave entrance overnight.
- Hiking trails
- There are a number of unguided trails leading from the camp ideal for birding and game viewing on the way round.
- Game drives
- Centre mainly on morning or afternoon guided trips in search of the resident Arnhem plains game and around the 3 waterholes.
- Bird-watching opportunities include sightings of some near-endemic Namibian birds in and around the caves and waterholes.
- Educational tours
- In-depth information on the bat species and the history of the caves can be arranged. Ideal if you want to learn of bat behaviour and breeding habits.
The Arnhem Caves are the largest in Namibia, this simple rest camp allows guests to explore these caves
Built from locally made red Kalahari clay bricks this is a wonderful lodge. Expect good food, stunning Kalahari sunsets and a warm welcome
An ideal stop over in the Kalahari en-route between Botswana and central Namibia
Hans and Claudia run an excellent guest farm - activities include game drives, learning about (and eating) local sheep, the art centre and carpet weaving. We think this is one of the best guest farms in Namibia
Offers a variety of accommodation styles from guest houses to a tented camp.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.