Ababis Guest Farm
Near Solitaire - Southern Namibia
Ababis Guest Farm offers comfortable accommodation and a variety of activities, 250km south-west of Windhoek on the northern outskirts of the Naukluft massif. Both Sossusvlei and the Sesriem Canyon are within reasonable driving distance of the farm. Ababis offers a welcome break on the way to or from Swakopmund. The management pride themselves on their attentive and personal service making this the ideal place to linger for a few days.
Enjoy spectacular views of the Namib desert and the wide open savannah's from here. Breakfast and dinner are served from their set menu on the verandah. Drinks, including selected wines, can be ordered at meal times or from reception. There is also a shady garden and swimming pool for guests to relax and unwind. Other facilities include a laundry service, guest lounge, disabled access, wireless internet connection and secure parking. Quench your thirst in the small 'tea room', which has a fridge and tea/coffee station.
The 32,000ha farm is divided into a commercial farming section and a 15,000ha private nature reserve, which focuses on species protection. It is one of the oldest farms in the south of Namibia and is predominantly stocked with cattle. The farm also has areas devoted purely to wildlife including gemsbok, springbok, blesbok, occasional zebra, kudu, and some bat-eared foxes.
As this is not a malaria area, there is no need for mosquito nets or any fitted fly-screens. The rooms are in buildings laid out in rows of 2 or 3. Overnight in either:
- Rooms: Large rooms with en-suite bathroom and shower, personal toiletries, twin beds, bedside tables and lights, table and lamp, 2 chairs and a built in wardrobe. The shared verandah has table and chairs outside your room. Most of the rooms have a view over the pool and gardens.
- Comfort Rooms: 2 of the Double Rooms are fitted with air-conditioning as well as similar fittings and furnishings.
- House at the River: A self-catering house with bed space for up to 5 persons, perfect for a family stopover or a small group. It has a reading room and a large bedroom and facilities similar to the Double Rooms.
Activities from Ababis, include guided trips to the dunes of Sossusvlei, the Sesriem Canyon and hiking trails in the magnificent Naukluft Mountains. There are several walking trals around the farm which takes a few hours, down to a (usually) dry riverl. Afternoon sundowner and game drives, and bookings to fossil dunes can also be arranged. Very popular with guests is the farm's very own driving academy, for off and rough-road driving skills. Olive and Waterkloof walking trails can also be organized from the farm.
Ababis is the ideal place to explore the Naukluft Mountains where rock pools and evergreen shrubs abound. The harsh landscape, with its specialized wildlife and vegetation, is typical of the inner Namib.
Ababis Guest Farm is a Hospitality Association of Namibia annual Award of Excellence in Silver winner.
- Off-Road Excursion
- a guided off-road excursion along the fringes of the Gaub river to Corona Lodge, where lunch is offered, before the trip continues to the Gamsberg and back to Ababis via the Remhoogte Pass.
- There are numerous well marked trails for walkers and climbers.
- Off Road Driving Academy
- The "Safety Driving & Offroad Academy" at Ababis offers a complete training programme for off-road drivers.
One of the regions oldest farms, suitable for dune and Naukluft Mountain visits
A small lodge situated close to the spectacular Spreetzhoogte pass and around 10km from Solitaire
A private and secluded hide-a-way in the Namib Desert. Ideal for those wanting a break from civilization
Excellent food, too far to be the ideal base to visit Sossusvlei, good stop en-route to Swakopmund after night nearer the dunes
Budget option in Namibia's most famous one-horse town
Friendly owners and a stunning setting about 60km from Sesriem
Explore the spectacular desert around this property or use it as a base to visit Sossusvlei.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.