Popa Falls Resort
Kavango - Namibia
Popa Falls Resort is situated on the banks of the mighty Kavango River. This is an ideal base to explore the Mahango Game Park and birding and fishing feature highly on many an itinerary. Popa Fall is more a series of rapids than 'Falls', but is situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. The course of the river is abruptly interrupted by rocks which creates a 4m high waterfall, before the river enters Botswana and the Okavango Delta.
The camp is the perfect opening to the perennial rivers, indigenous woodlands, riverine forests and floodplains of north-eastern Namibia. This resort is only 15kms from the Mahango Game Reserve and is the perfect stop-over when travelling between there and Khaudum Game Park.
Guests can dine in the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Indoor seating is for 80 and a further 50 outside on the patio. Meals can be complemented with drinks from the Classic Jetty Bar. Locally make souvenirs, arts and crafts can be purchased from the curio shop. The swimming pool offers a welcome respite from the hot Namibian sun, especially after a long road trip. The corporate community can utilize the Popa Falls Resort conference facilities. A laundry service is available on request.
Accommodation is in:
- Chalets: The 10 x thatched river cabins are all set alongside the slow running river facing the thick forest of Hippo Island. Twin beds, mosquito nets, air-conditioning, an en-suite shower room, wardrobes and braai facilities are standard.
- Family/Double Units: There are 3 x Family/Double Units which are double rooms with an interconnecting doorway. The facilities are similar to the chalets.
- Camping: Outdoor enthusiasts or those on a budget can camp in 10 sites. There are also a further 3 larger campsites for groups or overlanders.
A wide variety of wildlife species, including elephant, hippo, buffalo, Nile Crocodile, red lechwe, reedbuck, roan and sable antelope, and the elusive Sitatunga antelope can be observed in and around the area.
Other activities include fishing, canoing, boating, unguided self-drive game tours to Mahango game reserve, (the area borders the Okavango River, where crocodile and hippo abound) scenery drives, walking trails, etc.
Threespot and Greenheaded tilapia, tigerfish, are just some of the species of game fish that occur in the Kavango River. Anglers must bring their own fishing tackle, there are many secluded spots on the banks of the river, but fishing is only permitted with a permit. (Available at the office.)
No pets or motor cycles are allowed. The nearest landing strip is at Bagani, 5kms from Popa Falls.
All guided activities are conducted in either 4x4 safari vehicles or custom-built crafts. You will be accompanied by enthusiastic and knowledgeable guides.
- Game drives:
- You can either self-drive to Bwabwata NP and Mahango NP or hop on a scheduled morning or afternoon excursion run by the resort.
- Fishing trips:
- Half or full day fishing excursions can be organized. Bring your own equipment and enjoy leisurely days on the banks of the river.
- Boat cruises:
- Enjoy a game viewing cruise on a houseboat. Birding: With over 450 species of bird recorded in the region whether you are on an activity by vehicle, boat or just around the confines of the resort, then bird books and binoculars should be at the ready.
An upmarket lodge and spa on the banks of the Kavango River. The only traditional luxury lodge on this stretch of river
A well run lodge offering good facilities situated close to the town of Rundu
A few kilometers east of Rundu a nice functional lodge that more than adequately serves as an overnight stop while travelling through the Kavango and Zambezi region. The rooms, bar and restaurant area offer lovely views of the Kavango River.
Situated on the banks of the river (hence the name) in Rundu
Situated close to the Mahangu Park in west Caprivi - this is an excellent stop-over between Namibia, Maun (in Botswana) and the Victoria Falls
A rustic river side campsite and lodge offering excellent value for money. A lively bar and restaurant ensures this appeals to the younger or more socially inclined traveller
Close to Popa Falls and the Mahango Reserve this lodge offers stunning river views
Refreshingly, and surprisingly for the area, this lodge does not have the word 'River' as part of its name. Do not be misled it is situated on the banks of the river opposite the Caprivi Game Park (Bwabwata National Park)
Close to the Popa Falls (a series of rapids on the Kavango River), this rest camp was renovated in 2013
on the Kavango River banks this lodge offers plenty of water based activities
Near the village of Divundu, this small but wonderfully managed lodge is a perennial favourite of ours. Lovely wooden chalets, with large decks overlook the river. Those wanting to experience the river can choose from fishing and sunset river cruises
On a beautiful plot of indigenous plants and trees overlooking the river
One of the best lodges for birders visiting Namibia - but also great for fishing, chilling or generally becoming part of the family (the family consists of a host of creatures including goats, otters and guinefowls all lovingly adopted by the owners)
A small lodge a short distance west of Rundu. The rooms have river views and guests can choose from a range of activities
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.