Okaukuejo - Etosha National Park
Etosha Game Reserve - Namibia
Okaukuejo is 114kms north of Outjo on the C38. This road leads you right to Etosha Park's Andersson's Gate – and from here it is only a few 'game viewing' kilometers to Okaukuejo. It is the oldest tourist camp in and it currently functions as the administrative hub of the park as well as being home to the Etosha Ecological Institute. It is situated at the western end of the Etosha Pan.
Okaukuejo Rest Camp is only a few 'game viewing' kilometres from Etosha Park's Andersson's Gate. The main attraction of this camp is that it overlooks a permanent waterhole, which is floodlit at night. Here a wide diversity of Namibian wildlife congregates and interacts. The spectacle starts at dawn, with animals coming in large numbers to quench their thirst. The excitement continues throughout the day and deep into the night. In the early evenings, it is not uncommon to have black rhinoceros, elephant and lion, all drinking at the same time.
Okaukuejo is the oldest tourist camp in Etosha and it currently functions as the administrative hub of the park. It is also the home to the Etosha Ecological Institute. It is situated at the western end of the Etosha Pan, 114kms north of Outjo on the C38.
The restaurant provides a choice of a buffet or 'a la carte' menus and a selection of wines, beers, spirits and cool drinks can be bought from the bar. The kiosk offers guests the opportunity to shop for goods for their stay or onward journey. Head to the swimming pool after your drive or safari to escape the hot afternoon sun.
Accommodation is in one of the following units:
- Premier Waterhole Chalet: A double story chalet with a balcony overlooking the waterhole. There are 2 bedrooms, downstairs has 2 single beds and upstairs a queen size double. Air-conditioning, mosquito nets, a lounge area, fridge and tea/coffee station are standard.
- Waterhole Chalet: Situated close to the waterhole, these comfortable double rooms have an en-suite bathroom and similar facilities to the Premier Waterhole Chalets.
- Family Chalet: A 2 bedroom unit with a kitchenette and braai (barbecue) area. Air-conditioning, mosquito nets, a lounge area, fridge and tea/coffee station are standard.
- Bush Chalet: 2 bed chalets with one bedroom, an en-suite bathroom, lounge area and braai. Equipped with a fridge, tea/coffee station, air-conditioning and mosquito nets.
- Double Room: A double room with an en-suite bathroom and similar facilities to the Bush Chalets.
Okaukuejo is the main area of tourist activity inside Etosha, but visitors can also choose to stay at either Halali, Namutoni, Onkoshi Camp or Dolomite Camp. All 5 of these camps are operated by Namibia Wildlife Resorts and have the advantage of being inside the Etosha National Park. Alternatively, you might like to enquire about several other private lodges around Etosha which tend to offer a higher and more personalised degree of service.
Join one of the morning, afternoon or night game drives around Etosha. Game viewing is best done in the cool of the early morning or late afternoon. Most people choose to game drive themselves around the park – stopping at the various waterholes en-route.
- Etosha Guided Game Drives
- You can join one of the twice daily game drives around Etosha
- Game Drive
- Game viewing is best done in the cool of the early morning and late afternoon, most people choose to drive themselves around the park - stopping at the various waterhole's and watching the animals as they come down to drink
A mid market lodge, situated on the Ongava Private Reserve, very close to the main, Andersson, entrance to Etosha Park
On a small hill on the extreme western side of Etosha - Dolomite is the newest (and fifth camp) to open within the park boundaries. It is a smaller lodge as opposed to the traditional resort feel of the other camps within the park
Value for money accommodation in a well designed tented camp
Traditional slightly formal up-market lodge. Situated on same property as Eagle Tented Camp
Only 10km's from the park, Etosha Safari Camp offers good quality budget accommodation
Within 10km of the Etosha entrance this mid-range lodge offers an ideal base from which to explore the park
40 Room lodge only 4km from the park. Offers self catering units and a restaurant
Situated just north of the town of Outjo around 90km south of the Park
One of the five camps situated inside the park, generally less popular with visitors than Okaukuejo or Namutoni but has the advantage of a secluded quiet spot lit waterhole
On the far western edge of the park, just outside the Galton Gate, this is an excellent location to explore Etosha, Damaraland and the remote Kaokoland area
Luxury accommodation, each unit with private pool, great place to spoil yourself. Guided tours on private nature reserve and inside Etosha Park
Value for money self drive option situated 32km from the park
Accommodation in permanently erected tents, 14km south of the park
Extremely popular and busy accommodation inside the park with a good spot-lit waterhole, great choice if location is deciding factor on where to stay
A brand new campsite inside Etosha Park. No accommodation is available here and this only caters for self-sufficient campers. A highlight of the camp is the unique hide which overlooks the camps waterhole
Upmarket accommodation, situated on private game reserve with easy access to the National Park
On the same property as Ongava Lodge, but offering a more traditional tented safari style experience
Once called Etosha Gateway lodge this is a budget accommodation option which has recently been renovated.
This small family owned and managed guest farm is situated in easy driving distance of Etosha. The tranquil gardens and homely atmosphere make for a relaxed stay far from the crowds of the more commercial lodges
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.