Community Campsites - Namibia
This campsite is nearly on the border of Kaokoland and Damaraland and is a good stop for people driving between Opuwo and Twyfelfontein. The camp offers spectacular views of the Khowarib Schlucht (gorge) and the Hoanib river that runs through the camp is one of Namibia's few flowing rivers and attracts many bird species.
Why Khowarib Restcamp?
- The campsite is ideally situated to explore the spectacular Kunene Region
- A perfect place to relax, take short walks, photograph landscapes, enjoy the varied flora and fauna and soak up the atmosphere of rural Namibia
What can you experience?
- Enjoy the atmosphere of the stunning Khowarib Schlucht (Gorge)
- Go on walks along the Hoanib River
- Enjoy birdwatching - many birds are attracted by the perennial spring in the Hoanib River
What facilities are available?
- A variety of different campsites with braai areas & some shade
- Toilet and cold shower (new facilities under development)
- Two very private campsites (basic facilities) next to the stream, shaded by palm trees
- Traditional Damara and Himba huts (very basic)
- Bar with cool drinks & snacks
- Services of local guides
Nearby attractions include:
- Anmire Traditional Village (5 min)
- Sesfontein and Hoanib River (30-45 min)
Where is it?
- 1 km from Khowarib Village in the Khowarib Schlucht (Gorge). Approx. 25 km south of the regional town of Sesfontein.
How do I get there?
- From the main Palmwag - Sesfontein road (D3706 gravel), when in Khowarib village, turn to the east up the Khowarib Schlucht. Follow the track for approx. 2-3 km and you will find the campsite on your left hand side. Access is by 2x4 vehicle. The campsite on the other side of the riverbed is accessed by 4x4 vehicle only.
The only way to get a site is to arrange it on arrival at the campsite.
Community Tourism | Namibia
A tented camp on the banks of the Kunene River close to Epupa Falls and Himba settlements
A rustic option but closest situated to Epupa Falls, this site previously only provided campsites, but recently added rooms on stilts overlooking the river and falls
On the border between Kaokoland and Damaraland this fort was built at the same time as the fort of Namutoni in Etosha
On a hill above the Kunene river, the lodge has tremendous views of the surrounding area and looks towards the Epupa Falls
An excellent base from which to explore the Kaokoland area
n great lodge in a remote location on the banks of the Kunene River, for those interesting in birding, relaxing or river rafting this lodge is an absolute must. Undoubtedly one of our favourite out of the way lodges
A campsite near the village of Opuwo
One of the oldest lodges in the Kaokoland area, from here guest can visit Himba villages and other areas of interest in Kaokoland
Near the tiny settlement of Puros, this luxury lodge offers you the ability to search for the desert adapted elephants
On a hillside overlooking the Kunene River this small intimate camp offers accommodation for a maximum of 14 people.
A comfortable tented camp, on the banks of the Kunene River, close to the Epupa falls
On the outskirts of Opuwo with has beautiful views over Kaokoland -a real desert oasis
Up-market luxury safari camp in a spectacuar setting overlooking the Kunene River. A range of activities are included and a highlight is a visit to the local Himba community