Evangelical Lutheran Church
Swakopmund | Namibia
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Swakopmund is the 2nd oldest building of the Evangelical Lutheran churches in Namibia. A church parish was founded in 1905, even though no associated church building existed at the time. Services were held at a printing shop and then in a school building.
In 1909 a government builder, Otto Ertl, was assigned to draw up plans for a church building. With finance at a premium, the town council sought the assistance of a number of German institutions who contributed enormously to the buildings costs. The church was consecrated on 7th January 1912.
There were a number of German contributions to the building of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The architect was a Bavarian, a firm from the northern seaport of Hamburg carried out the building works and the stained-glass windows were donated by the town of Bremen. The organ came from Stuttgart.
This church has become such a prominent landmark that a 4-stamp set was issued in 1978 - together with the Christus Kirche in Windhoek, the Rhenish Mission Church in Otjimbingwe and the Rhenish Mission Church in Keetmanshoop.
It is situated on the corner of Daniel Tjongarero Avenue and Otavi Street in Swakopmund. It was proclaimed a national monument on 21st September 1978.
Situated close to the beach & the town center. This hotel offers a wide choice of room types making it the perfect choice for every budget
Right in the middle of town, the Hansa is over 100 years old and still offers top quality accommodation
Hotel situated close to the town center, decorated in a Victorian style
Centrally located hotel with old world German style
Situated out of town on the Rossmund Golf course, one of the world's best desert courses.
A brand new hotel, on the site of the old Strand Hotel, is set to open in August 2015
A very centrally located small hotel - within easy walking distance of the town center, Swakopmunds favourite restaurants - the Jetty and the Tug, as well as everything else the town has to offer
A large hotel, based around the historic railway station. Complete with casino, bars and restaurants
A large modern accommodation establishment that offers a warm welcome and all-round attentive service